Partner Action Number & Description
WP2 - Development of not for profit structures and WP3 – social outcomes
Action 5 – Social outcomes through organic food production
Action 5 focuses on developing products (fruits and vegetables) from green space, while delivering social outcomes (training of persons far from the employment, revitalisation of deprived area, access to vegetables in deprived area, etc)
Delsamme farm is a socioprofessional integration actor that is part of the Centre Public d’Aide Sociale (CPAS) of the town La Louvière. It covers 4 training fields including market gardening and green space management. It is active since ten years in the production of organic vegetables.
The trainees go through a 18 months training course. During this period, various aspects of the integration process are covered:
- Soft-skills development (team work, on-time delivery, etc.)
- Support in vocational guidance (personal guidance, building a professional project, job search technique, etc.)
- Basic education (literacy, math, computer, driving license ...)
- Specific training for a profession (in this case market gardening and management of green spaces) by doing (know-how) and theoretical contributions (knowledge)
After this training, the trainees get a proof of participation for their presence during the course.
Various organisms wanted a better recognition of the course, particularly regarding the specific market gardening training.
Description / Nature of Pilot
The Province of Hainaut opened in 2013 a school section for a certification of Lower Secondary Education Professional Horticulture at the Agricultural Technical Institute, Provincial Social Promotion in Soignies.
Three socio-professional integration organizations have signed a partnership with ITA to register their beneficiaries on an individual and voluntary basis.
This certification starts with a theoretical course in horticulture given by the ITA school in Soignies. Three modules of skills development are then provided by the social inclusion operators through professional learning activities and following the methodology specific to each operator (market gardening, flowers maintenance, park maintenance). The certification also includes a personal work at the end of the certification cycle.
The educational objectives are defined by the pedagogic files of the ITA and materialized in a "diary" of skills that is used as a guide for trainers insertion actors. Verification of acquired skills is done through the ITA.
Improve the career paths of trainees through official recognition of theoretical knowledge and practical results obtained by the trainees in the Socio professional integration organisms.
Pilot Framework / Timescale
Jan 2013-june 2015
Funding / Budget
Administrative employees and trainers as well as current infrastructure costs are currently paid by the La Louvière town.
School teacher and school organization support are paid by the Hainaut school network
EFT Ferme Delsamme (employees and trainees)
- CPAS La Louvière
- Régie des Quartiers de Mons-Borinage (employees and trainees)
- EFT Le Plein Air (employees and trainees)
- Institut Technique Agricole de Soignies (ITA), Social Promotion provincial school network
- Province of Hainaut, DGEH
- IPEPS Huy-Waremme
Recommended Design Delivery
- Visit to the school of to the IPEPS in Huy-Waremme to know more about the certification process as applied there.
- Set up meetings between the ITA and insertion actors.
- Open the section in Soignies
- Signature of partnerships
Launch of the first session (september 2013)
Launch module 1: theoretical course at ITA Soignies, evaluation + delivery of module certificate
Module 2: Acquisition of skills, evaluation + delivery of module certificate
Module 3: Acquisition of skill and validation by the school + delivery of module certificate
Module 4: Acquisition of skill and validation by the school + delivery of module certificate
Module 5 : End of courses personal work + evaluation
Launch of the second session (september 2014)
Pilot Outputs / Outcome
- Opening of a school section for a certification of Lower Secondary Education Professional Horticulture
- More structured theoretical course.
- 2 socioprofessional integration actors send each year student to the courses, minimum of 10 student starting the session
- trainees satisfaction and higher self confidence
- trainees looking more at futures opportunities (in training)
- more successful job integration path